EXCELLENCE AWARD FOR HERITAGE
Originally built in 1883, the Oriental Hotel was a John Teague design and was named for its location adjacent to Oriental Alley (which no longer exists). The restoration of the Oriental Hotel by Le Fevre & Company included seismic upgrade, maintaining the integrity of the original exterior of the building and reincarnation of the lightwell linking the two phases of the original construction into a new daylight entranceway to the new 32 residential units. The predominant street front bay windows (both interior and exterior) were rebuilt to their original architectural integrity.
Prior to restoration, the lower levels had been rented for retail and office use, while the upper two floors, containing 40 small rooms now impractical for modern use, had been sitting vacant since 1964. At the time of the 2012 Awards, all floors were occupied. The Oriental Hotel recognizes outstanding rehabilitation in downtown Victoria with careful attention to the heritage fabric while having a dramatic impact on the retail nature of lower Yates Street.