The Songhees Nation realized their long-held dream for a community gathering place with space for sports and recreation programs when the Wellness Centre facility officially opened in December of 2013. The Centre provides a wide variety of community activities and events.
The Wellness Centre has a full size gymnasium with change rooms, a fitness centre and a range of recreation activities to encourage active lifestyles. The Centre also has the ability to host sports events and seat up to 300 people in the retractable seating and stage areas.
A health centre wing allows the delivery of health initiatives in a holistic manner, and links programs to address physical, emotional and mental health needs for the community. A teaching kitchen promotes healthy lifestyles with programs such as cooking for diabetics. Additional facilities include a conference centre with multiple meeting rooms, administration offices and a commercial kitchen.
The building can also assist emergency responders who work in the area and serve as a post disaster gathering place for the local community.
The facility is targeting LEED Silver designation.
Midtown Park is a five-story, 43 unit, wood frame condominium building, the first in Saanich to be built under the new six-story building code. A small neighbourhood coffee shop that looks across Rutledge Park is also included in the corner of the building.
Green initiatives include erosion and sediment control during construction, regional sourcing of materials, a geothermal system combined with in-floor radiant heat, alternative transportation availability, light pollution reduction, energy and water conservation, air quality control and parks donations. The overall design has many architectural features which use different shapes and materials to create a truly unique building.
The acquisition to completion of the seven single family lots was a 10 year process and included several trips to Saanich Council chambers and an ongoing collaboration with the neighbourhood.
1019 Blanshard Street was constructed in the early 1900’s as a storefront retail building that included alleyway access for wagon deliveries. Over the following century, numerous renovations divided the space into smaller units, which covered over the original character features.
The goal for this renovation was to recreate and reinterpret the original character features and use the building’s newly created Be Love and La Taquisa restaurants to rejuvenate the commercial corner.
Completed in fall 2013, the renovation completely renewed the original 3,000 sq ft building fabric, revitalized the brick exterior, completed seismic upgrading and reinterpreted the storefront using contemporary materials and techniques. Steel frames replaced a heavy timber interior structure, which were re-milled by Be Love for its restaurant bar. The cornice was templated from neighbouring 801 Fort Street to accurately recapture the design elements from the era of its origin.