This signature 1912 building is of significant heritage value to Victoria and the Province of BC. It underwent a painstaking restoration of the exterior building envelope. All work was carried out in accordance with the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada.
Major items include the complete rebuild and seismic upgrade of the prominent and character-defining major cornice assembly, including the replacement of missing components. Other badly damaged terracotta components such as balustrade pieces and window headers were replaced using original manufacturing processes, with repair and upgrade of underlying defective details to prevent recurrence of problems related to water ingress. Minor defects were repaired in situ using specialised, historically appropriate products and specially trained personnel. Major structural repair of the library wing was undertaken, involving removal, rebuild and seismic anchoring of all brick and terracotta cladding to current standards. Green features include reuse and upgrade of existing brick and terracotta cladding elements with seismic and building envelope upgrades in order to enhance the building’s overall longevity and durability.