This three-year project located at Victoria International Airport is the largest single building on Vancouver Island. The finished structure is 220,000 sq ft of facility, which lands and houses seven helicopters for the 443 (Maritime Helicopter) Squadron branch of the Department of National Defence.
Built to post-disaster standards, the structure stands on a suspended concrete slab over a base of 1200 pilings socketed into the bedrock.
The facility is self-supporting for the helicopters and staff. Amenities include large industrial repair, service and paint shops, as well as offices for the Department of National Defence and flight crews.
Sustainability initiatives include an in-floor radiant heating system that provides energy efficient heat throughout the hangar.